Monday, March 3, 2008

Autie Mom who is glad Jenny's speaking out

As everyone knows, this is a book about Jenny McCarthy's experience with her son's battle with autism. As a mom with a son who has been diagnosed with autism, I was thrilled to watch Jenny on Oprah, Larry King, etc. making her rounds and bringing awareness to the topic.

I appreciate Jenny's honesty and vulnerability that she expresses through this book. She tells her story with the same fierceness that she fought with to save her son. She did save her son - he's living proof that the steps she took saved him and good for her. She's abrasive and in your face and that is who she is. I find her entertaining and fun - I've read that some people are offended by her language - but it didn't bother me.

My only fault with the book was that I would have liked it to be more organized for people looking for specific information, but instead it's chronological. But again, it's her story, so it makes sense that it's in order of events.

The diet that Jenny speaks of didn't work for my son, but I'm glad it worked for hers. I agree that the diet is a huge part of autism and whether it's a little improvement in your child or a big one like hers it is still important.

I think the overall message is for mother's to not take their children's diagnoses and give up - fight for your child. Find things that work, find things that can help. For us - occupational therapy was effective and also fish oil and nutritional supplements - for others nothing works - but the point is to try. Try whatever you can and know that there are a lot of other mother's out there trying too.

Jenny also explores divorce and financial hardship in the book - things that happen while you're trying to deal with autism. It's a good read. If you're looking for medical advice, read a medical book - this is HER story. Period.