Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder, Revised Edition by Carol Stock Kranowitz

This book was recommended to me by an Occupational Therapist after he evaluated my son through the state. At this point, I had no idea what SI was or that my son had it (also autism diagnosis). Since then, this book has become my primary resource for my son and other children I encounter. I've given copies to every member of my family and to my son's teachers. Why? Because it explains why kids do and act the way they do when they have sensory dysfunction.

One thing my son used to do was put his head on the ground to look at toys. He also used to avoid touching paint, glue, playDoh. He couldn't tolerate a playground and even family birthday parties were overwhelming. This book explains all of these things - all of the reasons why my son was acting the way he was. And since then, with the help of an occupational therapist, we've corrected these behaviors. My son is happier than ever. He still has SI, but he knows how to avoid certain situations and he's learning how to adapt to school, parks, the world in general.

Carol Stock Kranowitz explains and gives examples of why some kids act out in class, are aggressive, shy, etc. Anyone who is around special needs children will benefit from the knowledge on these pages. It's changed my entire world.

Like with anything new, learning the ins and outs of sensory integration takes time. It's not a super easy read and until you're familiar with the terms (tactile, vestibular, proprioception, gravitational insecurity, etc) it takes some getting used to. Don't be turned off by this last sentence, anyone can learn it and understand and then apply the techniques.

Id even recommend this for parents of typical children as everyone can benefit.

Here's the parts the book is split into:
1. Recognizing Sensory Integration Dysfunction
2. Coping with Sensory Integration Dysfunction

Some of the chapters include: Does your child have Sensory Integration Dysfunction?
How to tell if your child has a problem with the Tactile sense
Your child at Home
Your child at School
Coping with your child's emotions
Looking at your child in a new light
There are also a number of resources listed in the back of the book.